To assemble the sandwiches:
- Fry or grill the bacon to your liking, then set aside on some paper towel to cool.
- Place the chicken breasts onto a board, cover with a layer of cling film and gently flatten using a rolling pin or similar tool. (This just ensures an even cooking time)
- Fry the breasts in a pan on medium heat with a little olive oil or in a little of the bacon fat (truly indulgent) until they are cooked through and slightly browned.
- Set aside to cool.
- Spread a little mayonnaise onto each piece of bread.
- Place the first four slices onto plates and top with bacon, cheese and lettuce.
- Cover each with another slice of the bread and layer with chicken, tomato slices, salt and pepper and a little more lettuce.
- Place the remaining bread slices on top of each sandwich and serve.
You can use store-bought roast chicken instead of cooking the chicken breasts yourself.